Star AniseAvailable in
11g ECO Pack
Star Anise has a warm, earthy aniseed or liquorice flavour, commonly used in Chinese cuisine.
- Adds a wonderful flavour and aroma to mulled wine.
- Add flavour to soups, veges, meats and stews.
- Common in Chinese dishes, pairing particularly well with pork, chicken and duck.
- Add early in cooking and remove before serving.
- Whole spices retain better flavour than ground. Store in the closed ziplock bag until needed and grind using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.
The star shaped seed pod of Illicium verum, native to Vietnam and Southwest China.
For Your Appreciation
Star Anise has a warm, savoury aniseed flavour, with recent use as a cheaper alternative to aniseed for baking. It is the key flavour of some liquor, including Sambuca.